Saturday, August 9, 2008

Just when you thought it wasn't possible to hate doing laundry any more...


....comes the self-service laundromat in the basement of each of the Media Village apartment buildings. They have this european-style all-in-one washer/dryer doodad, which I've seen and even used before. But these things can make you want to go totally postal. First, they're tiny...you can fit only about a third of a normal load of laundry in them. Second, it's a mystifying "automatic" process that somehow decides what to do and for how long based on your fabrics, the weight of what you've put in the tub, etc. Third, they take HOURS to run! You can put a couple of shirts and a pair of shorts in one, set it to "quick wash" (no dry) and it'll take about an hour and a half. Add drying to it and add on another hour to hour and a half. You read that right---3 hours to do a tiny load of laundry!!!!! And even then, the clothes come out clean but if you put "too much" in there, they'll come out so wrinkled that they look like someone tied them up in knots. And forget about air-drying in this humidity...it'd take days for something like a heavier shirt or pair of jeans to dry. Some folks have taken to putting in laundry before they go to bed and going back after it when they get up in the morning...so much so that the onsite staff (yep, there's an attendant or three in the room 24/7 just like everywhere else) added some bins for folks to dump finished laundry into to make the machines available for their own use. It's not pretty. I'm going to look into drop-off laundry options, even if I have to pay for it out of my own pocket. Wish me luck!

After being on the go from 8am to 11:30pm yesterday, I had no choice but to do some when I got back to my housing. I'd been trying to carve out time the past several days and my hand was forced when I started running out of stuff. So I finally went to bed at 2:30 and got back up at 6. I'm working 8-5 then going to a gymnastics event, so my butt's going to be dragging by the end of the day.

No comments: