Saturday, August 16, 2008

Phelps Spoiler and The Race for Tickets

The man is officially a god. Phelps just took his 8th gold as part of the men's 4x100m medley relay. I didn't see it on the NBC feed we have from Virginia, so I assume NBC is going to tape-delay it for prime time back home. (Announcement)

I'd have killed to have been in the water cube building to see it. Haven't gotten tickets to any swimming events. When it became apparent that I wasn't going to get any through the company's available tickets, I tried to see if there were any for purchase outside of scalpers, since we're all seeing lots of empty seats when we go see stuff. I'd heard all the tickets were purchased, but there must be a lot of corporate-purchased ones that aren't getting used with all those empty seats. It's honestly kind of discouraging to be right here in the middle of the action, have some occasional opportunities when you're not working, know these amazing events are going on all around you and that there are empty seats at them and still not be able to get in to see them.

As I am writing this post, I did just score another ticket to gymnastics for Monday night. It's the finals for men's rings and vault and women's uneven bars. Only one American in all of it (Nastia Liukin on uneven bars), but amazing athletes are amazing athletes so I'm sure it will be a great competition!

No comments: