Thursday, August 21, 2008

Rainy Days Equal Crowded Offices

It's raining a lot today, which means some outdoor events have been delayed or rescheduled. That means more staff than usual are in the office. So far, nothing too earth-shattering though...the staff have hit their groove pretty well at this point.

I ended up getting home from the office at 4am this morning, so I was very happy I could sleep in a bit; I just put the "do not disturb" hanger on my bedroom door and housekeeping skipped me when they came into our apartment this morning.

Brian T told me that my "countdown to returning home" widget was a day ahead of where it should've been so I updated it so it reflects my actual return date correctly (which added a day to the counter...gee, thanks).

I'm thinking I'll probably make September 2nd my first day back in the office. Some of the HQ based folks told me they were told to take that entire week off, but I never got such direction. Plus I have a ton of stuff to address when I get back so it probably makes sense to just take a couple of decompression days, enjoy the holiday weekend and head back to the office.

There's an all-staff Company Update meeting on August 27th while we're in the air returning home. The stock's waaaay down, so I think we're expecting to get on the ground to find that we've got some new belt-tightening rules in place. Hopefully that's all it will be for now....the parent company just cut 1,000 positions in the newspaper division over the past few weeks. There's always that little bit of extra apprehension, though, when you're halfway around the world and feeling out of the loop while these things are happening.

No comments: