Friday, August 15, 2008

Shaggy No More

Got a haircut after work yesterday at the barber/salon in the Main Press Center. When I went down there, there was a video crew filming in there--I think it was the same one from Spain that was interviewing a reporter in our office earlier in the afternoon--so I walked around for a while and came back. No way did I want to have a foreign crew videotaping my haircut. Naturally, my luck ran out when I sat down in the chair and one of the employees of the salon pulled out a point and shoot camera and took about a half-dozen pics of me and the 2 other guys in there getting haircuts. D'oh! Only cost me $50 RMB, which is about $7 US.

After that I headed back to the media village to take a shower and hang out. Took a pass on a dinner invite that I would've really enjoyed going along on because I was really enjoying just relaxing for once. It was a good mid-trip recharge to just veg out for the evening.

Today is nice again. Reasonably comfortable temperature/humidity, blue sky for the 2nd day in a row and the smog is still only very light due to the rains from the other day.

We're going to work a different mix of hours this week to allow each of us to have a day off (woo hoo...only my second since I got here on July 24th). Mine is Monday. One of my colleagues and I were talking last night about trying to get to the Temple of Heaven together early in the morning, then we'll probably split up, since wants to see the Forbidden City (which I've already been to) and there are other things I want to see.

No comments: